Friday, September 25, 2009

Monday is right around the corner

I'm leaving the country for 2 years starting this Monday, and I'm hardly even packed. Everything just seems as normal as can be, and I don't even feel like I'm going anywhere; at least not for two years. I wonder what it's going to feel like when it actually hits me...
...I hope it hits me soon....
For years I've wanted to join the Peace Corps. It's been an idea that has both excited me and given me great anxiety at the same time. I think what I found most intriguing about the US Peace Corps is that while military service is an incredibly admirable form of showing one's patriotism, we as Americans have incredible alternatives to military service as being the only avenue towards actively showing that patriotism. And of course, serving abroad is not the only or best way to show it. For me however, it has always been a fascination; being an American in a foreign land, doing service work as an American. Hopefully I can do Uncle Sam proud.
I am honored to have the opportunity.

Sean Murphy is the name, and Youth Development will be the game.
Between October 1 2009 & December 3 2011, I will be serving in the country of Azerbaijan. The first 2 months will be language and culture training. The two years following will be the actual service, and I still have countless questions about what that will look like. When I found out in July that I was officially accepted into PC service (woohoo!) and was told the destination was Azerbaijan, I was pumped! My desired location was the Middle East. Azerbaijan is squished between Europe and Asia, and sits right on top of the Middle East.


In an upcoming post I'll try to give a short but interesting description of what I know about Azerbaijan and what I plan on taking with me. I'm hoping to get a few more posts up before I leave California on Monday so stay tuned. And since I'm new to the whole blog thing, I'd love any feedback you have for me. Thanks everyone!

oh and of course, if there are ever any questions I'll be happy to get you an answer to the best of my ability.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm just excited! But also not really at the same time... but I am!

    Suggestion: Color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sean - this is so cool what you are doing! I will definitely be peeking in at your blog when I can to see what you are up to. Good luck =)

    ReplyDelete