Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Post #12: End of Training/Begining of Service









This Post was originally written on Sunday, December 13th

This past Wednesday I swore in as a United States Peace Corps Volunteer! A lot of people were there and it was bigger than I thought it would be. Host Families were invited, AZ6 volunteers came into Sumgiyet to welcome us into the volunteer community. Speeches were given by Peace Corps Staff and by Azerbaijani Government Officials. Our Peace Corps Director was there and we were each congratulated with a speech and handshake from our US Ambassador in Azerbaijan. It was all aired on Azeri TV later that night too.
All 64 AZ7 were dressed to impress. We had a few speakers from my training group. They all did us proud. Two did a great job giving their speeches in Azeri, and the third was an individual who was once a refugee from Sudan who came to America and afterwards become a citizen. His speech had a lot to do with how learning English in the refugee camps was one of the most important tools he could have ever gained.

The whole thing was a pretty surreal experience. The part that probably had the biggest “This is the real thing” impact on me was when all 64 of us raised our right hands and took our Oath. You’ve heard it before: I state your name, swear to uphold the Constitution of the United States… against all enemies, foreign and domestic…so help me God. It was a very proud moment.

Thursday was bitter sweet. I said goodbye to many good friend who I really appreciated during training. It was great that we had all finally become PCV’s and would begin our service, but it was also a little upsetting to know we would not be with each other anymore. Of course we will all meet up from time to time throughout the next two years, and will most likely even work together on some projects, but still…

And here I am now, a few days in at my new site, Mingecevir (Min-gech-a-veer). This weekend I walked around the city with my fellow volunteers from AZ6/7. My host family seems nice. They’ve hosted 2 other volunteers at some point in the past. It’s a mom, 2 sons (ages 18 & 24), and two teenaged girl cousins who are here temporarily. The 18 year old speaks almost fluent English. My room is nice, and the food hasn’t really been any different (Azerbaijan does not have a very wide variety of cuisines).

Being here and beginning everything is still a bit overwhelming and new, so I can’t honestly say that I’m totally comfortable yet. But that was never really to be expected. I go into my organization on Monday the 14th, and we’ll start from there.

I hope all is well with you guys and that the holiday spirit is strong. Mingecevir has a hydro-electric damn that provides electricity to the whole country. Because of this, the whole city randomly has lights all over town that happen to look a lot like Christmas lights. It’s just totally ironic, and nice, to be here during Christmas season.

-----COMMENTS FROM LAST TIME-----
Breea- I'm actually pretty proud of my facial hair too! One way or the other people comment on it. I tend to get more complements from my Peace Corps pals, and a lot more disgust from Azeri's.
Rob- I totally Oathed! It was great. As far as regular Internet access, well.... not really. The internet cafe here is much slower than in Sumgiyet, and the USB ports really don't work well. However, when I get my own place in April that will probably change; I'll try to get Internet access, or get a place that has it. In the mean time, I might use a fellow volunteer's organization that has great Internet; wireless even, which is crazy for these parts. I don't want to use it all the time cause I don't want to be a total mooch. Not right away at least. I will get my address out to you guys shortly. Hopefully the next post.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sean! I've been following your blog and it all just sounds like an incredible experience so far. I hope that you have a merry Christmas and that your new host family is as great as the last one! Good luck!
    -Moe Leneweaver

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it dude. That oath would make me proud to be sure. So official sounding. Did I say yet how intimidating your facial hair is?!?! You make me want to get creative as well. Love ya brotha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see pictures of your town! And check out the security guy in the second picture trying to be all secretive-like. Yeah right, guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Sean!
    What an inspiration you are!
    Peace and goodwill to you over these next 2 years!
    JoAnne Allen
    Love reading your posts.....helps put a life into perspective!

    ReplyDelete