Friday, October 1, 2010

Post #22: 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY IN AZERBAIJAN!!!

(October 2, 2009)
(Oct. '09: Trainees Gathering In Sumgiyet City)
(Nov. '09: Studying in Language Classes)
(Dec. '09: Swearing in Ceremony)
(Winter '10: Mingechevir City PVCs)
(Spring '10: Volunteer Action Committee (VAC) Members with PC Country Director)
(Spring '10: Hannah's visit to Azerbaijan; Karaoke in the capital)
(July '10: My trip to Israel & Palestine)
(Aug. '10: At a Turkish bathhouse during my trip to Georgia)
(Summer '10: PCV men at the annual young Azerbaijani boys leadership camp, ABLE....Yeah, mohawks )
(Summer '10: Me & my group, Volunteer Club of Mingechevir (VCM) during one of our projects)
(September '10: Members of the Welcoming Committee for the new Trainee group, AZ8)
(October 1, 2010)
Today is my one year anniversary as a representative of the United States Peace Corps!
It was one year ago today that I and the rest of AZ7 set foot in our new home; “The Land of Fire”…Azerbaijan.

The past 12 months have offered a full range of experiences, emotions, challenges, successes, and countless opportunities for personal development and growth. Last October I was very unaware of what I was getting myself into. I knew I was in the Peace Corps and I had a rough idea of what that meant (Representing the USA abroad, doing some type of development work, etc), but in all honesty those first few days were like looking at a wall I needed to clime over, yet I had no real idea of what would be on the other side except that whatever it was included the next two years of my life.

For our first few days, AZ7 was put up in a hotel outside the capital where we received a crash course in Azerbaijani Culture, the language, and the Peace Corps’ expectations of us, the Trainees. What I remember the most was the presence of a small group of Volunteers from AZ6 who were selected to help us during those first few days to answering questions and concerns about life in the Peace Corps & life in Azerbaijan. These guys and girls were the real deal; actual Peace Corps Volunteers who had spent the last year of their lives “roughing it” and integrating into their communities as vital resources for Host Country Nationals (locals) to utilize. Not only that, but they were the individuals who were fighting the good fight against negative stereotypes of the U.S and of Americans; they spent every single day of their lives representing their country as grassroots ambassadors to help improve the reputation of the United States abroad (especially in parts of the Muslim World). Hearing their experiences and taking note of their tips for success along with warnings of possible pitfalls for Trainees and Volunteers, I felt like I at least had a better idea of what to expect on the other side of that huge metaphorical wall.

Last week (September 25-28) AZ8 arrived and spent their first few day in the same hotel I did one year ago. This year, I was honored to be part of the six person team who introduced life here to the new group. It was exciting to answer many of the same questions I and my group had during our first days. I’m thankful for the experience because it gave me a very unique opportunity to reflect on my own service as well.

To the AZ8’s: It was a pleasure meeting all of you and I hope your first few days of training went of without a hitch. You’re a great group and I definitely have high hopes for you all. Good luck over the next 10 weeks and we’ll be waiting for you as soon as you Swear In and make the official transition from PCTs to PCVs!To friends, family, and loved ones back home: I can’t fully explain how important you have all been over the past year. Thank you for your kind words, your interest and your support. This experience so far would have been much different without you. I miss you, and will see you in about one more year.

Year two, here we go!...

1 comment:

  1. Break out the berry tea and celebrate - Murph is halfway home! JK - much congrats, but your fans stateside are looking for that reunion concert - last pic is a great shot; of course, our fav is you and Hannah on karaoke. Lot of work, Mr. Murphy, lot of persistence - keep the faith and miss you much. T & C

    ReplyDelete