Friday, October 16, 2009

From 59 to 58

It's been an interesting week thus far. A few things:


1) I met the Acting Ambassador from the USA in Azerbaijan.

2) I can now access the internet from my cell phone; though it costs me a bit to do so.

3) One person has decided to go back to the States, making the total number for AZ7 into 58 trainees instead of 59.

4) I found out that I will be going on a site visist to Zaqatala (North Western AZ.) starting Saturday the 17, and ending Wednesday the 21st. It's known as "The Paradise Region," of Azerbaijan!


1- At the end of last week, the Acting Ambassador from the US (he's "Acting," because right now there is no official Ambassador from the USA in Azerbaijan; not for a couple of months at least. this guys is like seconed in comand). He actually was a Peace Corps Volunteer in the 80's and then joined the Foreign Service after finishing with the Peace Corps. He was incredibly informative about the country and current issues that are happening. He addressed things like:

- The positive impacts that are happening in Azerbaijan.
- Corruption in Azerbaijan.
- The war with Armania.
- Human rights concerns.
- the relationship between the US and AZ.
- Where the secret US military base is located (there isn't one, but it is a popular rumor here and in this region of the world, ie- Russia and Iran).
- What the future is expected to look like for Azerbaijan (oil, natrual gas, economy, International Relationships)

I really enjoyed all the topics he covered and I think it gave all of AZ7 a better idea of what to expect once we are out at our sites.

2- I finally have Internet access on my Azeri cell phone. It isn't iPhone quality, but it gets my on facebook and gmail, so that's a huge plus that came this week.

3- The down side of week two is that a member of AZ7 decided to head back home. He was actually a member of my 4 person cluster. A cluster is the group you do language lessons with, and 3 to 4 clusters make up a job specific group (Youth Development, Teaching English, etc). Anyway, he was having bad reactions to the pollution and and in-hailing some of the smoke that came from burning trash in the towns.
A full Peace Corps training group doesn't normally make it all the way through training. In fact, I'm lead to believe that 30% of a training group don't last all the way through which means technically we would loose another 17 people before December 9th when we swear in. However, 100% of AZ6 made it through training, so I'm not sure what to expect.


4-this weekend, every single one of us will be leaving the Sumgiyet area on a site visit where we will observe a current volunteer. Now, I hate to brag, but it really does sound like I got the very best place in the country! Zaqatala.
2 of the AZ6 volunteers who were part of our welcoming committee are stationed there. It really did sound like the most beautiful place you've ever heard of; complete with clear streams and roling mountains. Apparently since Zaqatala is so close to Russia and Georgia there are actually 28 different ethnicities that clame to live there. With a plethura of langauges and cultures, it's apparenlty one of the more "Progressive" parts of Azerbaijan. And from some of the research Hannah did, I'm even more excited.
"Tt is considered a health resort, it doesnt have the "environmental damage" that the other regions have. There is a nature preserve to the north with brown bear and boars!! AND get this--there is local HONEY that is known throughout AZ. Theres also hiking trails through wooded mountains with frequent waterfalls. Lastly, the region had hazelnuts and walnuts. This is soo cool." - Hannah J. McClain

I really can't wait. I'll be leaving by train this weekend and it takes over 8 hours to get there. There are only 5 of us going out of the whole group and it sounds like we have a pretty fun agenda once we get there. My next blog will probably be Zaqatala themed and I hope to have some pretty good pictures from it.


I want to give a shout out to my Dad; it's his Birthday today. So happy birthday Paul Murphy.


--------------------------------Comments From Last Time-------------------------------------


I'd like to make the blog a bit more engaging with anyone who would like to participate. That's why I'm going to do my best to address any comments that have been left from the most recent blog by any Followers. Nothing big, I just hope it can be a neat way for me to actually talk with people who want to do it.


Rob: I'm glad the pictures can take you down memory lane a bit. And those cars are basically Power Wheels that kids can just crews around on for fun. but to be honest the drivers on the road are even worse drivers than those kids! It's scary stuff man.



Nate: That's exactly what I was thinking about the AZ7 title! Everytime I see it or someone says it I think Arizona, and Navajo.

3 comments:

  1. eek! embarrassed that you quoted me, i sound like a nimrod. but i hope you have an awesome trip, i cant wait to hear all about it! love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, first of all, I just had to laugh that Hannah called herself a Nimrod! You don't get nimrod that often any more. Secondly, sounds incredible man, hope your trip is awesome. I have to close my eyes when I take the bus every day here, order is just lost upon these folk, as I'm sure it's probably worse there!! Anyway, we all miss you big and continue to be proud of your endeavours. Cheers pal, don't be a nimrod Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate, you ask of Hannah the impossible! Just kidding Hannah, you're ok!

    So what's the pollution like? Is it just incredibly disgusting like Mexico City, sort of that thick greenish haze like Los Angeles, or the thick gray haze like Riverside? So many choices!

    ReplyDelete