Sunday, October 11, 2009

Post #6








(The Pictures: The one with trees is my street. The building is an apartment building I pass each day after getting off my bus to go to Youth Development Sessions. The 3rd is me in front of The Dove of Peace statue in Sumgiyet which AZ7's unofficial meeting spot by the Caspian Sea when any of us go to the Hub town.)
What a week it's been! Soon after my last post, the rest of AZ7 and I left on buses that took us to our new communities where we'll be living with our separate host families. There was a lot of anxiety floating around. Would we get along with our host families, how will we get by with the language barrier, etc? Although there was a lot of excitement it really was pretty stressful, and you could feel it from just about everybody on that 30 minute bus ride.
My group of about 15 was sent to a small town just north of Sumgayit called Tagiyev. 1 by 1 we were each dropped off in front of homes and apartments. Everyone was given a round of applause and pats on the back so that we all knew that we were in this together.
Here are some of the tips and information we were given to ease the culture shock we were about to experience:
1) The host family will be extremely gracious and welcoming. Almost to the point where you might feel a bit overwhelmed.
2) You will be fed A LOT of food, and even when you say you're finished, you will be given even more food. Expect to say "I'm full," and "No, I'm really done, thank you," at least 3 times. Most of the food is very very oily, and very heavy.
3) You will be given an endless amount of tea, whether you really want it or not.
4) Men are not expected to do any dishes, laundry, cook, etc. Women won't at the beginning but might be expected to do their own or at least help out as time goes on.
5) You absolutely do not wear shoes in the house. Either wear your slippers, or you will be given slippers to wear by your family.
6) It's a good idea to have some kind of gift for your family, regardless of if you give it early on or later in your stay.
7) The men are the head of household, and that's just kind of the fact of life.
About a day before we left I was told my family consisted of a mother who worked and a son who was in his early twenties. For some reason it gave me a lot of comfort knowing that I had a woman head of household and a son who was pretty much exactly my age.
When we pulled up to my house/apartment, my host brother was waiting for me. I said my goodbyes to everyone else and the bus took off. My knew brother helped me up the stairs with all my gear. I attempted to use what little Azerbaijani I knew to try and break the ice.

He responded in English!
Turns out he knew quiet a bit of English and had actually spent 3 months in the States this summer through his University! What a relief.
My host mother came home a bit later. Upon seeing her she kissed me on the cheek and began making me dinner. I can assure you that food has not been in short supply since I’ve gotten here. The meals have been extremely filling too. That first night was the only night I felt like I had eaten too much. To my surprise, my family does not fall into hardly any of the rules we were told about. The first timeI say that I'm done, I usually do not have to repeat myself. I generally only have 1 cup of tea a night, I have a woman head of household, and I'm the only one wearing slippers at my house.
I have tried to help with dishes and do my own laundry, but my host mother will not let me; not yet any way. My host brother and I talk quite a bit, and it has been nice having an English/Azerbaijani speaker in the house.

The rest of the week has gone smoothly, besides being eaten alive by mosquito's. I’ve spent each morning in my language class that last 4 hours each day! I’m not incredible at Azerbaijni, but I enjoy learning it a lot.
Each afternoon I take a bus with the 3 other people in my Language class and my LCF (Language and Cultural Facilitator) to meet up with the other classes who are living in the Tagiyev area. All 15 of us Trainees are in a Youth Development session for another couple of hours, and then we head home.
It’s been a good first week. The best part about it is that I finally talked to Hannah the other day via my new cell phone. It was wonderful. The one down side is that it costs way to much for us to talk on a regular basis, so in the mean time, I'm trying to find ways of connecting to Skype at some Internet cafes. Hasn't been much luck as of yet, but we'll keep trying.
Is there anything I'm leaving out that people would like to know about so far?
IMPORTANT BLOG INFO: Soon I have to change my privacy settings so that they'll be more stricked. Hopefully this won't impact anyone who is an official Follower, but I can't promise anything. If it becomes password protected and it becomes difficult to view the blog, then let me know. I'll probably just post the password on my facebook page once I change the settings. Maybe in a week or so.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures, dude. They remind me of Sarajevo when I was over there. I have one question about the picture of you in front of the Peace Statue... Those different colored mini-bike-looking things to the extreme right that look like those plastic cars little kids ride around in over here... What are those? Are they a popular mode of transportation?

    Glad you're getting settled in OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, that's so incredible. What a blessing eh? I love that your known as AZ7 it sounds like an SSP nickname for the arizona staff, "we're the AZ7, who are you?"

    I had a teacher once in high school who said that she was in the peace corps and it sounded so surreal. I just am so proud of what you're doing. I brag about having a friend in the peace corp alot! Living vicariously through you man, keep it up, we'll pray for you and hannah to work out the skype thing soon!

    All our love bro!

    ReplyDelete